Using a shower Oil as a substitute for a shower gel or shower cream is much more nourishing and ideal for dry skin.
There are many good brands of shower oil for dry skin that you can choose from, both natural and synthetic, all of which will provide effective results, and will be much less harsh on bare skin.
Shower Oils for Dry Skin
So as we have all read and heard, sulfates are the enemy when it comes to skin and hair care products, although this is highly debatable. There are many products with safe amounts of sulfates. I would agree that Suplpahets are a plausible culprit in causing dry skin. Sulfates and many other Sulfates are used to give your soap, shampoo or shower gel the foamy cleansing texture that removes oils and dirt, this is necessary for effective cleansing, but can also be drying to your skin and can cause irritation.
Many other factors, such as colorants and perfumes or alcohols in your skin products, may also cause dryness and sensitivity.
All in all, I would recommend a Shower Oil rather than a shower Gel, soap or cream for dehydrated skin, though, to be clear, it should not be used on oily or acne-prone skin.
When it comes to Shower oils, you can opt for the natural route or synthetic products, both of which have their advantages and disadvantages. Natural Shower oils may use coconut sulfates, caustic potash, or a castile soap base for the cleansing action, as well as oils such as natural castor oil, olive, almond, sunflower, avocado, jojoba, and many other essential oils types for fragrance.
A synthetic based Shower oil can consist of MIPA, a less harmful and lower surfactant count form of Laureth Sulfate for cleansing, or a coconut-based chemical form of cleansing, and include natural or synthetic oils, such as castor oil, petroleum oils, minerals oils, and other synthetically enhanced oils.
Some Factors to Consider in a Shower Oil
Shower oils are much more beneficial to dry skin and offer less harmful surfactant properties and nourishing oil formulas. Here are a few ingredients to consider when choosing your shower oil whether natural or synthetic based;
- Comogenic Natural – Comogenic Natural oils are very heavy oils that create a protective layer on your skin. These are recommended for very dry and Eczema prone or Atopic skin types that cannot create their fat layer and moisture barriers. Cosmogenic oils have a tendency to clog your pores, so I would not recommend them for problematic and oilier skin types. Your general Comgneic oils are Coconut, Avocado, Wheatgerm, and butter, such as Shea Butter and cocoa butter. Synthetic oils such as Petrolatum and mineral oils are also comedogenic oils that are not natural.
- Non-Comogenic Natural – Natural Non-Comogenic oils that are easily absorbed into the skin, that do not create a protective barrier may include, Jojoba, Olive, Sunflower, Almond and Grapeseed oils. Some of these oils may, however, not be nourishing enough for dry skin.
- MIPA – MIPA is a surfactant with 50% oil components and 50% surfactants that is much more gentle on the skin and used in most synthetic oil-based cleansers and shower gels.
- Synthetic Oils – Synthetic oils mostly used in Shower oils are either petroleum-based oils, mineral oils or synthetic Glycerine, and Castor Oil, of which glycerine is Non-Comedogenic. These oils moisturize and create a protective barrier on dry skin. Some Synthetic oil-based shower gels also contain many natural oils and extracts.
Features of a Good Shower Oil for Dry Skin
- MIPA or Laureth 4 as a surfactant.
- SLS, Sodium Laureth, or Sodium Lauryl Sulfate Free.
- It contains natural oils such as Jojoba, Olive, Wheatgerm, Coconut, Almond, Hemp, or Sunflower.
- The gel also has butters such as Cocoa Butter or Shea butter.
- Additionally, the formulation has mineral, oils, glycerine, castor oil, petroleum oils.
- Natural Fragrances from essential oils such as lavender, orange, geranium, and lemonGrass.
- Cleanses and smoothes the skin and leaves a natural and subtle scent.
- It comes in an easy to use pump or pouring a bottle for use in the shower.
Reviews: The Best Shower Oils for Dry Skin
Here are some products to help you pick one. Also, we would like to inform you we shall earn a small commission with every purchase made through the links in the article.
One of the top-rated high end and most luxurious shower body oils that you will find is the jo Malone range, which comes in a variety of natural scents and infusions. I have chosen the London Blackberry, which is ideal for both men and women.
- A softening luxury shower oil.
- It has Sunflower seed oils, jojoba oil, and blackberry scented infusions from blackberry juice.
- Vibrant and verdant with a luxurious fresh scent.
- Leave your body soft and smooth with a caressing scent.
It is a high-end luxury Natural Shower oil for gentle and exciting skincare.
- Contains natural Argan Oil and essential Lavender oil.
- Soothing, moisturizing, and refreshing with a natural scent.
- Decadent rejuvenation and a luxury feeling.
- It comes in an easy to use pump bottle.
The shower oil is a fresh and invigorating oceanic fragranced bath experience for men and women.
- Revitalizing and moisturizing with a fresh scent.
- Cleanses the skin gently while nourishing and soothing it.
- It contains revitalizing and hydrating ingredients for your skin.
- Leaves your skin feeling fresh, smelling great, and feeling moisturized.
I use Nivea Nourishing Serum, and I can say from experience, and according to reviews, this is undoubtedly the best budget-friendly shower oil that you will find.
- Uses cleaning MIPA technology that is low in sulfites and less harsh on the skin.
- It contains plant-derived castor oils.
- It also contains natural oils, and Coconut derived surfactants.
- A slight fragrance that will make you smell clean and fresh.
- Very moisturizing and cleansing.
The Dove Body wash Dry Oil Moisture wash is a creamy wash for dry skin with oil infusions of Moroccan Argan Oil and dry oils to help nourish the skin.
- Dry oil infused with Moroccan argan oil for dry skin.
- Cream-based body wash for the shower or bathtub.
- Moisturizes and smoothes dry and itchy skin.
- Dermatologists recommend it.
- Very budget-friendly and available in bulk packs.
- This shower oil wash is perfect for people with eczema and psoriasis with its gentle cleansing effect.
- Moreover, it has a 24 hours hydration claim to keep your skin moisturized.
- The product also claims to be paraben-free. So, you can use it without worrying about toxins.
- It is hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic, so that your skin is non-irritating and doesn’t clog.
- The regular use of the shower oil will improve your skin elasticity.
- Additionally, it gives a skin barrier therapy with the vitamin PP present in the formulation.
- The product is a blend of almond oil and almond butter to give a soothing moisture to your skin.
- It contains microlipids that create a barrier on the skin to stay hydrated throughout the day.
- Your skin will feel refreshed and moisturized after the wash with a gentle cleansing effect.
- Almond oil has an anti-aging effect on the skin in the long run.
- You will observe an improvement in your skin texture and appearance.
- The shower cream has an infusion of coconut oil in it for dry and ashy skin restoration.
- It has a sulfate-free formula with vanilla bean extract to give you a soothing bath time.
- You can achieve a soft, hydrated skin with this natural blended cream wash.
- The wash won’t strip your skin of natural oils for the maximum hydration on your skin.
- Eliminate the dry and itchy conditions in your skin after each consecutive use.
- Choose this vegan argan oil enriched body wash oil for a replenished and hydrated skin.
- It also contains grapeseed oil, olive oil, vitamin E for a moisture-locking effect on your skin.
- The product is free from any parabens, sulfates, and harmful chemicals in the formulation.
- All the ingredients used are naturally derived and not tested on animals.
- Regular use will help in toning your skin to look better and fresh.
- Get this OGX lavender oil infused body oil to revive your skin.
- The body wash will nourish your skin while leaving a nice scent of lavender on it.
- It also has soothing chamomile extract oil that is beneficial to the skin.
- Your skin will feel supple and healthier without any dryness.
Index Table: Top Rated Shower Oils for Dry Skin
|1||Jo Malone London Blackberry - high End Luxury Shower Oil for Dry Skin||Jo Malone||98.4|
|2||Beauty and Planet Love and Beauty - Natural Shower Oil for Dry Skin||Beauty and Planet||97|
|3||Blu Mediterraneo Italian Resort - Revitalizing Shower Oil for Dry Skin||Blu Mediterraneo||97|
|4||Nivea Pampering - Shower Serum For Dry Skin||Nivea||99|
|5||Dove Dry Oil - Shower Oil wash for Dry Skin||Dove||97|
|6||Bioderma Atoderm - Shower Oil wash for Atopic Skin||Bioderma||96|
|7||L'Occitane Hydrolipid - Shower Oil wash for Dry Skin||L'Occitane||99|
|8||OGX Miracle Oil - Shower Cream for Dry Skin||OGX||98|
|9||Live Clean Exotic - Argan Oil wash for Dry Skin||Live Clean||98|
|10||OGX Lavender - Essential Oil Wash||OGX||97|
Table of Contents
- Shower Oils for Dry Skin
- Some Factors to Consider in a Shower Oil
- Features of a Good Shower Oil for Dry Skin
- Reviews: The Best Shower Oils for Dry Skin
- Jo Malone® London Blackberry high End Luxury Shower Oil for Dry Skin
- Beauty and Planet® Love and Beauty Natural Shower Oil for Dry Skin
- Blu Mediterraneo® Italian Resort Revitalizing Shower Oil for Dry Skin
- Nivea® Pampering Shower Serum For Dry Skin
- Dove® Dry Oil Shower Oil wash for Dry Skin
- Bioderma® Atoderm Shower Oil wash for Atopic Skin
- L'Occitane® Hydrolipid Shower Oil wash for Dry Skin
- OGX® Miracle Oil Shower Cream for Dry Skin
- Live Clean® Exotic Argan Oil wash for Dry Skin
- OGX® Lavender Essential Oil Wash
- Index Table: Top Rated Shower Oils for Dry Skin