The Shower Chair can be the ideal piece of equipment for elderly persons to enjoy a warm and soothing shower while relaxing in a safe and comfortable space.
This article will include a short buying guide for choosing the best shower chair for the elderly.
Shower Chair or Transfer Bench
When it comes to the shower Chair for elderly persons, there are two options which you can consider, and that is the basic Shower Bench type chair or the Transfer Bench chair, which is ideal for those who struggle with getting and out of the bathtub or shower, or who have a wheelchair.
- The Shower Bench or Chair – The regular shower bench or chair can be used inside a bathtub or shower and is placed with all four feet flat on the bottom. The Shower Chair creates a comfortable and safe seated area for you to enjoy a relaxing shower. Most shower chairs or benches come without a backrest, but you will have the option or choice of a backrest, which is usually removable, and armrests which are also optional.
- Shower Transfer Bench and Chair – The Transfer Bench or chair for your shower or tub has a much similar design, with the only difference being that it is designed so that you can slide from your Wheelchair or chair onto the bench easily inside your shower or tub. This design is specifically for individuals who struggle with mobility or are in a wheelchair and cannot stand to get in or out of the shower or tub.
How will a Shower Chair Help the Elderly
Well, the question is, how exactly do any of these two types of Shower Chairs actually assist the elderly.
When you age, you do lose much of your mobility, and a standing position or even lying in the bath can be difficult, and in some cases, painful. Sitting is usually the most comfortable and most relaxed position for elderly persons to function from and get up from.
Many older persons like their independence, especially when it comes to taking a daily shower, and as the bath is the prime area where slips and falls take place, this can be quite difficult.
The Shower chair provides stability and a comfortable space to rest in a comfortable position while enjoying your shower.
Because many types and accessories come with your shower chair, you can easily choose one to cater to your specific needs. One example is the Transfer bench which enables individuals in a wheelchair to quickly get in and out of the shower or bathtub from their Wheelchair.
Features of a Good Shower Chair for Elderly
- Frame – A durable and strong frame, usually from Aluminium is ideal and it should be able to hold weight of about 300lbs and more.
- Anti Slip – textured seating and handles and non-slip design feet are ideal for keeping you from slipping on the chair. Also, to keep the chair perfectly in place in your shower.
- Drainage Holes – Drainage holes or a split open two-sectioned middle are ideal for keeping water from pooling and helping you reach all areas for cleaning.
- Padding – Padding in the seat and armrests provides a soft and comfortable place to sit and rest your arms.
- Adjustability – Seat height and other adjustability features, such as a removable and adjustable backrest, are also ideal functions of a good Shower Bench for elderly persons.
- Weight and Portability – A lightweight and portable design allows you to take your shower bench with you when traveling.
Reviews: The Best Shower Chairs for Elderly
Here are some of the safest and best choices in Shower Chairs for senior perons;
- The seat and handles are padded for comfort and soft seating.
- There is a cut-out design in the seat, which makes cleaning much easier.
- Lightweight and easy to carry from one area to the next.
- Tool-free and easy assembly design.
- It fits in even the smallest tub or shower.
- It can be used as a bath or shower chair.
- There is a sturdy aluminum frame that can hold up to 350lbs in weight.
- The height of the chair is fully adjustable.
- Non-Slip design feet ensure that the chair stays firmly n place in your shower or tub.
- The chair is also very lightweight and completely latex-free, so there is no risk of allergies.
- The seat height is adjustable, with no need for tools.
- Easy and tool-free assembly.
- It is a very sturdy design that can hold up to 300lbs in weight in full.
- Transfer design that you can use to help people with immobility issues to get into and out of a tub or shower.
- It will easily fit most showers and bathtubs.
- It comes in an option with or without a backrest.
- A cut-out seat design with a notched split so you can easily clean the perineal area of your body.
- It reduces pressure when seated and tool-free assembly.
- Very lightweight and portable design.
- Padded seat and backrest, the backrest is also removable.
- Can handle a weight capacity of up to 300lbs.
- It makes transfers from wheelchairs to the shower or bathtub simple and easy.
- It has a Tool-free assembly and usage design that is easy and effective.
- Can handle a heavyweight person of up to 400lbs.
- Heavy-duty and extremely durable and long-lasting quality and frame.
- An FDA-certified safe and secure shower chair imported from Germany and made using advanced machinery and techniques.
- It has an anodized heavy-duty aluminum frame that can hold up to 300lbs in weight.
- It has a comfortable and durable design with a backrest and handles.
- Very versatile and easy to use, and the back support is also removable.
- Provide your parents with the best showering experience with this wall-mounted chair.
- The chair has a simple and sleek design that matches all kinds of bathroom decors.
- The chair is retractable and will provide a comfortable sitting experience.
- This seat has dimensions of 13.6 X 10.8 inches and is ideal for elderly people.
- It has a strong frame structure that will provide excellent support to the user.
- This stool is perfect for having a soothing showering experience for old-age people.
- The 14.5″ shower seat is full of comfort and fully rotates up to 360°.
- You can adjust the stool to a height of 14.75″ – 20.75″.
- It is extremely sturdy and highly durable.
- The stool legs are made of non-rusting aluminum and have non-slip tips to ensure the user’s safety.
- A storage shelf is included to keep the bathroom essentials around you while bathing.
- This GreenChief made elderly chair is specially designed for people who have difficulty standing in the shower.
- The chair is easy to assemble and does not take over five minutes for installation.
- You can adjust up the height of the chair to a height of 16″-21″.
- This chair offers a padded armrest to promote excellent support for the user.
- It has a good width for comfortable seating and anti-slip rubber feet to ensure safety.
- Get a relaxing shower experience with this high-quality elderly shower chair.
- It can hold a weight of up to 350 lbs.
- It has a compact design and is extremely lightweight to carry around separate bathrooms of your home.
- The chair is easy to assemble and offers eight different height settings.
- A strong suction cup is provided on the legs of the chair to provide excellent support.
Index Table: Top Rated Shower Chairs for Elderly
|1||Vaunn Medical Shower Seat - Shower Chair for Elderly||Vaunn Medical||97|
|2||Medline Bath Chair - Padded Shower Chair for Elderly||Medline||98|
|3||Carex Transfer Bench - Shower Chair for Elderly||Carex||98|
|4||PCP Shower Safety - Safe Shower Chair for Elderly||PCP||97|
|5||DuroMed Transfer Bench - Shower Chair for Elderly in WheelChairs||DuroMed||97|
|6||Health Line Massage Products - Shower and Tub Chair for Elderly||Health Line||97|
|7||Autum Lane Wall Mounted - Elderly Shower Chair||Autum Lane||98|
|8||Carex Adjustable - Bath Chair||Carex||97|
|9||GreenChief Comfortable - Shower Chair for Elderly||GreenChief||98|
|10||Medical King Anti Bacterial - Elderly Shower Chair||Medical King||98|
Table of Contents
- Shower Chair or Transfer Bench
- How will a Shower Chair Help the Elderly
- Features of a Good Shower Chair for Elderly
- Reviews: The Best Shower Chairs for Elderly
- Vaunn Medical® Shower Seat Shower Chair for Elderly
- Medline® Bath Chair Padded Shower Chair for Elderly
- Carex® Transfer Bench Shower Chair for Elderly
- PCP® Shower Safety Safe Shower Chair for Elderly
- DuroMed® Transfer Bench Shower Chair for Elderly in WheelChairs
- Health Line® Massage Products Shower and Tub Chair for Elderly
- Autum Lane® Wall Mounted Elderly Shower Chair
- Carex® Adjustable Bath Chair
- GreenChief® Comfortable Shower Chair for Elderly
- Medical King® Anti Bacterial Elderly Shower Chair
- Index Table: Top Rated Shower Chairs for Elderly